Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. UponArriving has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. UponArriving and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
Amazon.com regularly offers targeted promotions where you can utilize your American Express Membership Rewards to save money on Amazon. The newest offer allows you to save 20% on up to $500 worth of spend. This means that you can easily get $100 worth of free Amazon products!
Update: Some offers are no longer available — click here for the latest deals!
How to get the offer
It’s really easy to see if you’re targeted offer for this offer.
- First, click here to activate the offer (affiliate).
- Second, add one or more eligible items to your shopping cart. This item must be sold and shipped by Amazon.com to qualify.
- Check out with your American Express Card and use Membership Rewards points for at least a portion of your order.
You only have to use one Membership Reward point in order to kick in the offer.
Many people are having luck with purchasing gift cards, including those from Amazon. However, to maximize the promo with Amazon gift cards you’ll need to purchase a $400 Amazon gift card along with a $100 third party gift card (Uber, Netflix, iTunes, etc.)
The terms and conditions below exclude Amazon gift cards but
tons of people are having it work for them.
Update: I would stick to third party gift cards based on recent data points.
Amazon Prime needed?
Others have pointed out that the offers only seem to come up if you have Amazon Prime.
You could always sign-up for a free Amazon Prime trial and then see if you can get the promotion to come up. This free trial would also allow you to cash in on Amazon Prime Day which is coming up, so this is actually a pretty smart move even for people who don’t have Amex Membership Rewards cards.
Term and conditions
Here are the terms and conditions:
- Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time.
- Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com (Look for “sold by Amazon.com” or “sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC” on the product detail page). Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Offer does not apply to digital content.
- Shipping charges and taxes may apply to the full value of discounted promotional items.
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $100.
- Offer applies only to the purchase of items made with a Membership Rewards eligible American Express Card, where Membership Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion code is activated.
- Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
- Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your order.
- This promotion starts at 12:00 am PST on July 2nd, 2018 and ends when Amazon elects to end the promotion.
- If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to applicable refund policies.
- Promotional discount may not be redeemed for Amazon.com Gift Cards.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
The terms and conditions state that the promotion ends “when Amazon elects to end the promotion” so you probably don’t want to wait around too long if you want to jump on this great promotion.
UponArriving has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. UponArriving and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Daniel Gillaspia is the Founder of UponArriving.com and creator of the credit card app, WalletFlo. He is a former attorney turned full-time credit card rewards/travel expert and has earned and redeemed millions of miles to travel the globe. Since 2014, his content has been featured in major publications such as National Geographic, Smithsonian Magazine, Forbes, CNBC, US News, and Business Insider. Find his full bio here.