Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. UponArriving has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. UponArriving and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
American Express has sent out different targeted Amex Offers that can save you up to $30 cash back on your phone and cable bills or simply earn you up to 3,000 additional Membership Rewards. The offers come in different forms, so you never know what you might have and it’s possible that you might not have anything at all. All offers expire 11/15/17.
Be sure to check all of your Amex cards, even those that don’t earn Membership Rewards, such as SPG credit cards As it sometimes happens, I received four different offers on four different cards (personal Platinum, Gold Card, SPG Card, and Hilton Surpass).
Earn extra Membership Rewards
Cable and satellite bills
The first offer is for 1,000 Membership Rewards after you spend $100 on your cable or satellite bill.
- Offer valid on bill payments for US cable and satellite television services made directly with the provider.
- Payments must be made directly with the provider online, via mobile app or by phone.
- Excludes payments for satellite radio services and subscriptions with streaming television providers.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per American Express Card online account and limit of 3,000 additional Membership Rewards points per Card
- These additional points are in addition to any points you would normally receive for purchases on your Card under the terms of the Membership Rewards program.
Cell phone bills
The next offer is for 1,000 Membership Rewards after you spend $100 on your cell phone bill online.
The terms state that the offer is only good for select providers.
- Offer valid on cellular phone bill payments made directly with T Mobile, Sprint, AT&T Wireless, US Cellular and Verizon. Excludes all additional brands not listed.
- Payments must be made directly with the provider online, via mobile app or by phone
- Payments for hardware and non cellular services are excluded, if not bundled and charged with monthly service bill.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per American Express Card online account and limit of 3,000 additional Membership Rewards points per Card.
- These additional points are in addition to any points you would normally receive for purchases
Cash back offers
The alternative offers actually give you a cash discount on your purchases instead of Membership Rewards but limit you to $30 total.
Cable or satellite bill
- Get 10% back on your cable or satellite bill (up to $30 total)
- The same terms apply as above but you get cash back versus Membership Rewards.
Cell phone bills
- Get 10% back on your phone bill (up to $30 total)
- Same terms apply as above.
Which offers are the best?
If you’re like me you and got all four offers then you might have to choose which offers are going to give you the best value. I might try to see if there’s a way to partial pay via phone. That way I could spend $100 for the 1,000 Membership Rewards and then go for the 10% back for the remaining bill. It might not be worth the hassle but I’m also just interested to see if it would work.
If I had to just choose one, I’d go for the 1,000 Membership Rewards because I’ll get around 2 cents per point of value with those points making my value received close to $20 back with each payment. I usually pay these bills with my Chase Ink Plus to earn 5X on these purchases but since the 1,000 Membership Rewards are in addition to what I’ll earn on the purchase, I’ll get more points with this promotion.
H/T: The Frequent Miler
UponArriving has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. UponArriving and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Daniel Gillaspia is the Founder of UponArriving.com and creator of the credit card app, WalletFlo. He is a former attorney turned full-time credit card rewards/travel expert and has earned and redeemed millions of miles to travel the globe. Since 2014, his content has been featured in major publications such as National Geographic, Smithsonian Magazine, Forbes, CNBC, US News, and Business Insider. Find his full bio here.