Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. UponArriving has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. UponArriving and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
American Express is now offering a 125,000 point offer for the Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express. This is a targeted offer that is also open to the public, so anyone can try out the link below to see if they are targeted. This offer expires 1/17/2018.
Update: Some offers are no longer available — click here for the latest deals!
- Earn 100,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 or more in purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership
- Earn an additional 25,000 Bonus Points after you make an additional $1,000 in purchases with your new Card within your first 6 months.
- 12X on Hilton purchases
- 6X at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. supermarkets, and at U.S. gas stations.
- 3X for all other eligible purchases on your Card
- One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $15,000 in purchases in a calendar year
- Hilton Honors Gold status
- Spend $40,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year and you can earn Hilton Honors Diamond status through the end of the next calendar year
- Earn 500 Hilton Honors Bonus Points when you use your Card to both book online and pay for your Hilton stay.
- The terms state $95 annual fee ($75 if application received before January 18, 2018) which is odd because this offer expires January 17th.
Is this a good offer?
This is a solid offer for this credit card but I’m not sure I would jump on it. I much prefer the 100K offer that comes with a free night after the one year anniversary. I understand you have to wait 12 months for that free night to hit but that’s like receiving an additional 95,000 Hilton points for your patience. Since these are once per lifetime bonuses and that 100K + one free night has come around a few times already, I think this I’d wait it out for that offer.
Also remember that the Hilton Surpass card will soon be rebranded to the Hilton Ascend. Aside from a change in Priority Pass admission (you will now have 10 free passes), a slightly higher annual fee of $95, and no foreign transaction fees, the new Ascend card appears to be very similar to this card.
The biggest question is whether or not American Express will offer all-time high sign-up bonuses for the Ascend when it launches. Even though it’s essentially the same product as the Surpass, banks often like to throw out their best bonuses when releasing new products so we might see an even better sign-up bonus than this targeted offer.
For that reason and because I’d prefer the 100K + one free night offer, I would not jump on this offer. But if you could really use the 125K Hilton points at this time, I don’t think this is a bad offer to jump on at all. 125K Hilton points is still a record high offer for this card (though this offer is structured with a total of $4,000 in minimum spend).
UponArriving has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. UponArriving and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Daniel Gillaspia is the Founder of UponArriving.com and creator of the credit card app, WalletFlo. He is a former attorney turned full-time credit card rewards/travel expert and has earned and redeemed millions of miles to travel the globe. Since 2014, his content has been featured in major publications such as National Geographic, Smithsonian Magazine, Forbes, CNBC, US News, and Business Insider. Find his full bio here.