As expected, Barclaycard just brought down the sign-up bonus of the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red World Elite Mastercard® from 60,000 to 50,000. This is still one of the best sign-up bonuses available due to how easy it is to obtain because all you have to do is make a single purchase on your credit card. But if you don’t have a need to jump on the card right now it’s probably best to hold off until the higher offer returns.
This article contains an expired offer.
Note that the Citi cards just dropped from 60,000 to 30,000 but you can still find a 50,000 offer. Read more about that here.
AAdvantage Aviator offer
- Earn 50,000 AAdvantage miles after your first purchase.
- First checked bag free for the primary cardmember and up to 4 companions on eligible bags when traveling on domestic itineraries operated by American Airlines
- Preferred boarding for the primary cardmember and up to 4 companions on their reservation
- Earn $3,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars after spending $25,000 on purchases each calendar year
- 25% inflight savings on food, beverages, and headsets on American Airlines-operated flights
- 10% of your redeemed miles back on redemptions (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year)
- $100 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $30,000 or more in Purchases on your Account during your card membership year
- Reduced Mileage Awards — Fly to great destinations on American Airlines operated flights for up to 7,500 fewer AAdvantage® miles for flights in the US and to/from Canada
- No foreign transaction fees
- Chip and Pin technology (great for Europe)
- Annual fee $95 (not waived)
Not many cards offer a sign-up bonus for simply making a purchase and for those that do, it’s rarer to find such a lucrative sign-up bonus at 50,000 miles.
This annual fee is not waived unlike the Citi Platinum Select which waives its $95 annual fee the first year. So you’re essentially paying $95 for 50,000 AAdvantage miles, which is a deal that I would take any day.
- Barclaycard sometimes only pulls from Transunion (although not always) so this is a great way to give your Experian and/or Equifax credit report (just remember YMMV).
Barclaycard can combine inquiries but your second application may go to pending and you will probably have to recon on that app, so if you don’t want to deal with a reconsideration call then maybe consider waiting a few days to a week to apply for a second card and missing out on the combined hard pull. Otherwise, give it a shot.
This is still a solid credit card offer for the Aviator Red. I would personally wait until I’m above 5/24 to apply since this offer will be around for a while and even if you miss it, it will likely be back.
Daniel Gillaspia is the Founder of UponArriving.com and creator of the credit card app, WalletFlo. He is a former attorney turned full-time credit card rewards/travel expert and has earned and redeemed millions of miles to travel the globe. Since 2014, his content has been featured in major publications such as National Geographic, Smithsonian Magazine, Forbes, CNBC, US News, and Business Insider. Find his full bio here.