Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
Maximizing miles and points has a lot to do with timing your applications with some of the best welcome bonuses. Right now is the perfect time to pick up a new credit card because there are several hot limited time offers that just came out for IHG, Marriott, and Delta.
Offers in this article no longer available.
IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
The IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card comes with a new offer that allows you to earn:
- 80,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening
- Plus an additional 40,000 bonus points after spending a total of $5,000 on purchases within 6 months of account opening
Offer no longer available.
Earning 120,000 IHG points after $5,000 in spend is not bad at all. You would be able to cover two nights at a very nice IHG property. The top properties now go for 70,000 points per night, so you would be very close to being able to cover two nights at a top-tier property.
Here are some of the other features:
- Annual free night certificate at an “eligible hotel”
- 10X for spend at IHG
- 2X at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Automatic Platinum Elite Status (read more about this status here)
- 20% discount on purchases of IHG points
- 4th night free on award stays
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit of up to $100 every 4 years
- No foreign transaction fees
- $89 annual fee
- Subject to 5/24
This is a terrific credit card for anyone who is interested in IHG considering how rewarding the card can be for loyal IHG customers.
However, if I was close to being over 5/24, I would likely go with a card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred so that I would have the option to earn flexible (and more valuable) points in the future. That route would also give you a much more lucrative option for upgrading to a premium card (the Sapphire Reserve) in the future.
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card
The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card is now offering a 100K offer which comes in the following form:
- Earn 100,000 Bonus Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
The IHG bonus of 120,000 points is more valuable to me than this one because it allows you to come much closer to covering two nights at a top-tier property. When the new Marriott award chart kicks in, 100,000 points will only cover one night at a top tier property during peak times.
The Boundless credit card has a number of other features that include:
- Annual free night on properties up to 35,000 points per night
- Marriott silver status
- Short cut to gold whenever you spend $35,000 on purchases each year
- 15 elite night credits each calendar year
- 6X at Marriott properties
- 2X on all other purchases
- $95 annual fee
- Subject to 5/24
Just like the above card, if I was close to being over 5/24, I would likely go with a card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred so that I would have the option to earn flexible points in the future.
American Express Delta credit cards
The American Express Delta credit cards are all back with great limited time offers. These offers are very cyclical cool but they are great offers nonetheless. I would not burn a 5/24 slot for these cards, but if I already had maxed out my Chase cards then I would consider them.
Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express
- Earn 60,000 Bonus Miles after spending $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express
- Earn 75,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles after you make $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months.
- $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express
- Earn 75,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
If you are in the market for a hotel credit card or one of these Delta cards this is a great time to apply. Maximizing miles and points is all about timing and these are definitely some of the highest bonuses that come around for these cards.
H-Town based Attorney turned credit card rewards expert. Founder of UponArriving.com.