Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. UponArriving has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. UponArriving and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
Hotel promotions are always interesting because you never know how valuable the promo is going to be. Well, there is a new IHG promotion called the “4 x 2020” that has the potential to be extremely valuable and I will give you all of the details below.
The new “4 x 2020” IHG promotion
- You must register for the promotion and you can do that here.
- Book by book by 15 April, 2020
- Stay between 15 February, 2020 and 15 May, 2020
- Total spend for booking a qualifying night must be over $30 USD with a minimum stay of 1 night
- Maximum bonus points award per member for the Promotion is 301,000 points
- Only one room per member per Qualifying Stay will be awarded the applicable bonus points
Here are the details of the promotion:
- Earn 1000 Bonus Points on your First Night
- Earn 2 x Bonus Points on Nights 2-5 (up to 100K points)
- Earn 3 x Bonus Points on Nights 6-14 (up to 100K points)
- Earn 4 x Bonus Points on Nights 15+ (up to 100K points)
As an IHG member you would earn 10 bonus points for every dollar that you spend so this is what the bonus rates come out to:
- Earn 2 x Bonus Points on Nights 2-5 (20X)
- Earn 3 x Bonus Points on Nights 6-14 (30X)
- Earn 4 x Bonus Points on Nights 15+ (40X)
And then remember that you will also earn additional bonus points if you have elite status with IHG. For example, you can get a 50% bonus earning on your base points as a Platinum Elite member.
This means that you would earn an additional five points per dollar spent on your nights and your totals would look like this:
- Earn 2 x Bonus Points on Nights 2-5 (25X)
- Earn 3 x Bonus Points on Nights 6-14 (35X)
- Earn 4 x Bonus Points on Nights 15+ (45X)
The IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card also earns 10X on IHG purchases so if you have that card you could earn the following rates:
- Earn 2 x Bonus Points on Nights 2-5 (35X)
- Earn 3 x Bonus Points on Nights 6-14 (45X)
- Earn 4 x Bonus Points on Nights 15+ (55X)
Using WalletFlo valuations of .56, this means that your return on your spend could be up to 31% which is pretty fantastic.
This is extra interesting because the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card (which gives you Platinum status) currently comes with a monster limited-time 140K bonus after meeting the minimum spend. So this would be an ideal time to jump on the card for some people.
IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
The IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card comes with the following features:
- Annual free night certificate
- 10X for spend at IHG
- 2X at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Automatic Platinum Elite Status
- 20% discount on purchases of IHG points
- 4th night free on award stays
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit of up to $100 every 4 years
- No foreign transaction fees
- $89 annual fee
Anytime you can get your earnings above 30% with a promo that is a great deal. So if you have upcoming IHG stays then you will be able to really bring in some value over the next few months. Also, if you have future stays up in the air I do think that these earning rates are good enough to swing your stay toward them if you can hit the triple or quadruple mark with your returns and you have the IHG card.
UponArriving has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. UponArriving and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Daniel Gillaspia is the Founder of UponArriving.com and creator of the credit card app, WalletFlo. He is a former attorney turned full-time credit card rewards/travel expert and has earned and redeemed millions of miles to travel the globe. His content has been featured in major publications such as National Geographic, Smithsonian Magazine, Forbes, CNBC, US News, and Business Insider. Find his full bio here.