Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. UponArriving has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. UponArriving and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
American Express has a partnership with Ticketmaster which allows Amex cardmembers access to presales for advance ticket purchases and special preferred seating for certain cardmembers. There are also ways to use your Membership Rewards points for concerts and events and special benefits for Amex Platinum cardmembers as well. This article will tell you everything you need to know about American Express concert ticket benefits.
Interested in finding out the top travel credit cards for this month? Click here to check them out!
What are American Express Concert Tickets?
American Express concert tickets are tickets that you can purchase through Tickemaster.com. You can often find deals exclusive for Amex cardholders and also find tickets that will go on pre-sale before the public gets a chance to purchase these tickets. In addition, you can get special access to Amex reserved seating at certain events.
How to find American Express concert tickets
To search for American Express concert tickets, you can go to this website here.
At that website, you’ll be able to look for:
- All cardmember offers
- Ticket pre-sales
- American Express seating
You can also just filter your results by clicking on ticket “Type.” You’ll see fields for American Express® Preferred Seating and for presales.
American Express ticket presales
To find the presale tickets, simply go to the Ticketmaster website here. Next, click on “Ticket presales” on the left of the screen to bring up eligible upcoming events. You might see events in your nearby city listed first and then options for events nationwide below that.
You’ll see the time and date that the presale will begin and then you can click on “More Info” to find out more about the event.
One the “More Info” page you can sign-up to be one of the first people to receive a notification when the presale goes live by simply entering in your phone number. There’s only a select number of presale tickets available for each event so make sure that you set an alarm or sign-up for notifications so that you’re one of the first people to purchase your tickets.
American Express preferred seating
Amex doesn’t state that every Amex card is allowed for the preferred seating. Here is a list of eligible cards for the preferred seating:
- American Express® Gold Card
- Platinum Card®
- Centurion® Card from American Express,
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card
- Delta Reserve® Credit Card
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card
- Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card
- Hilton Honors Ascend Card
- Hilton Honors Aspire Card, American Express® Corporate Gold Card
- Corporate Platinum Card® or Corporate Centurion® Card from American Express
- the Executive Business Card
- Premier Rewards Gold Card
- Business Gold Card
- Business Gold Rewards Card
- Business Platinum Card®
- Business Centurion® Card from American Express.
To redeem an American Express Preferred Seating offer, proceed to purchase your ticket through any primary ticketing channel including online, mobile, or phone and provide the 10-digit Customer Service phone number located on the back of your Card when prompted.
Do you have to use your Amex credit card to pay?
The official terms and conditions state that you must your Amex card to pay for your charges.
Sometimes there might be restrictions on the number of seats or orders that you can purchase. For example, when reviewing tickets for Christina Aguilera: The Liberation Tour, I saw the following message:
Please noteAmerican Express has set a two-order limit for this offer. This limit applies across all Cards associated with all of your American Express accounts. Prepaid Cards are not eligible for this offer.
There is a four (4) ticket limit for the Artist and Spotify Presales. There is an 8 ticket limit for this event.
Redeem Membership Rewards
You can use Membership Rewards points for most events on Ticketmaster.com, and on many of those events there’s a Check Points button so you can easily see how many points you have before you search for tickets.
Note: If you don’t see the Check Points button you may still be able to use Membership Rewards points for that event – just look for the Membership Rewards Points from American Express payment option during checkout.
You redeem points after you purchase by following these steps:
- Select “Membership Rewards® Points from American Express” on the payment page during checkout. (Your American Express® Card will be charged for the total ticket purchase.)
- On the confirmation page, enter your 4-digit security code to verify your point balance. If you have more than one American Express Card, please make sure the code matches the Card on file for your Ticketmaster account.
- After your purchase is completed, you may select to use points for all or part of your purchase. Choose how many points you want to use (minimum 2,000).
- Your Card will be charged the full amount of ticket purchase and a statement credit for the points redeemed will be applied to your account within 48 hours.
Your points will be worth 0.5 cents each when using them for these events. That is not very good value at all for Membership Rewards as you can get at or over 1.5 cents per point when transferring your points to Amex travel partners. And if you’re using your points to fly business class or first class you can easily get above 10 cents per point (so 20X or more value)!
For those reasons, I think that you should avoid using your Amex points for these tickets unless you really have no use for your Amex points otherwise.
One cool thing about using your points is that you don’t have to cover the full cost of your ticket, so you can use your points to top off if you want to save some cash.
Amex Platinum Special Events
The Amex Platinum Card comes with several benefits that are great for concert-goers. These include the following perks:
- Membership Experiences (take advantage of presale tickets and special events)
- By Invitation Only® (invites to high profile events like Cannes, celebrity chef events, etc.)
- American Express® Preferred Seating (get better seats at games, concerts, shows, and other big events)
The Platinum Card also comes with a concierge service that you can utilize to find you tickets to concerts and events. To reach them call 1-800-525-3355 and press 2 to reach the concierge. To find out more about the Platinum Card’s benefits click here.
Overall, it’s nice to get access to presale tickets and to have the chance to purchase preferred seating if that’s your preference. If you’re a fan of attending concerts and events, then you should definitely consider utilizing your benefits that come with your American Express cards to the fullest.
UponArriving has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. UponArriving and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Daniel Gillaspia is the Founder of UponArriving.com and creator of the credit card app, WalletFlo. He is a former attorney turned full-time credit card rewards/travel expert and has earned and redeemed millions of miles to travel the globe. His content has been featured in major publications such as National Geographic, Smithsonian Magazine, Forbes, CNBC, US News, and Business Insider. Find his full bio here.