One of my favorite credit card perks that I’ve used over and over again is the Hyatt free night certificate. It’s pretty easy to get your hands on free night certificates for Hyatt properties with the World of Hyatt Card and all of the other free night promotions offered by Hyatt.
But what are the best ways to use these free night awards?
This comprehensive article will show you all of the possibilities for using your free night awards for Hyatt category 4 hotels. I’ll also highlight the value and some of the strong points that make some of these properties worth visiting.
World of Hyatt Card
The World of Hyatt Card is one of the best hotel credit cards available since it comes with a great sign-up bonus, strong bonus category earning, and the opportunity for free nights. It’s also one of the best hotel cards for climbing your way up the elite status tiers for Hyatt. You can read our full detailed review here.
- Welcome Bonus
- 30,000 Bonus Points after $3,000 in purchases within 3 months of account opening
- Plus, 2 points total per $1 spent on purchases that earn 1 point, up to $15,000 in spend in the first 6 months of account opening
- Bonus earning:
- 4X spent with your card at Hyatt hotels, including participating restaurants and spas
- 2X on local transit and commuting, including taxis, mass transit, tolls and ride-share services
- 2X at restaurants, cafes and coffee shops
- 2X on airline tickets purchased directly from the airline
- 2X spent on fitness club and gym memberships
- Free nights:
- Receive one free night at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort every year after your cardmember anniversary
- Earn an extra free night at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort if you spend $15,000 during your cardmember anniversary year
- Elite status:
- Comes with Hyatt Discoverist status
- Receive 5 qualifying night credits toward your next tier status every year
- Earn 2 additional qualifying night credits toward your next tier status every time you spend $5,000 on your card
- $95 Annual Fee
As you can see, you will be granted one free night each year automatically and have the opportunity to earn an additional free night when you spend $15,000.
The free night awards are for categories 1 through 4, so this article is going to look at different ways that you can use your free night award at category 4 hotels since many people will want to maximize the free night at the top category.
Tip: Use WalletFlo for all your credit card needs. It’s free and will help you optimize your rewards and savings!
Free night awards
You can also earn free night awards just by staying at Hyatt properties. Here are the different ways that you can earn free nights.
|Stay at 5 different Hyatt brands and pay an eligible rate starting March 1, 2017||Free night award in a Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort (valid for one year from issuance)|
|Stay 30 qualifying nights or earn 50,000 Base Points in a calendar year||Free night award in a Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort|
|Stay 60 qualifying nights or earn 100,000 Base Points in a calendar year||Free night award in a Category 1-7 Hyatt hotel or resort|
|Stay 70, 80, 90 and 100 qualifying nights in a calendar year||Choose to receive 10,000 Bonus Points or a suite upgrade award|
Note that all of the free nights are for free nights in the category 1-4 range except for the free night earned after staying 60 qualifying nights. That free anniversary night allows redemptions for properties up to a category seven. If you would like to see the best category seven Hyatt properties, then be sure to check out our article here.
Hyatt award chart
Below is the Hyatt award chart, which shows the price for awards at each of the different categories. The free night certificates are used to claim standard rooms, though you can always get upgraded if you have status with Hyatt.
|Hotel category||Standard room points per night||Regency/Grand Club points per night||Standard suite points per night||Premium suite points per night|
When to use your Hyatt free nights
Since you can use your free night awards for properties in categories one through four, you obviously want to stay at category 4 properties as much as possible. It won’t always be possible to do, but if you can go with a category 4 hotel, that’s often where you’re going to maximize your value.
Once you are focused on category 4 properties, then you want to look at the price of a one night stay to see which hotels offer you the best value.
We know that category 4 hotels require 15,000 Hyatt points so if you value Hyatt points at 1.5 cents per point, then you’d want to shoot for around $225 in value per night to maximize your rewards.
That doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t use your free night reward for nights that cost less than $225. Once you factor in things like property reviews, location, special features, etc., you might feel it’s worth it to use your free night on a property that doesn’t offer the maximum value and that’s fine.
But I do suggest that you try to get a baseline value for your free night so you at least know the value potential of that perk.
Below is a list of 176 category 4 Hyatt properties — note that this list is always subject to change and may not be 100% updated at all times. You can also search for properties here.
- Andaz San Diego
- Hotel Avante
- Hotel De Anza
- Hyatt Centric Downtown Sacramento (New)
- Hyatt Centric Santa Clara Silicon Valley (New)
- Hyatt House at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center
- Hyatt House Belmont/Redwood Shores
- Hyatt House Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
- Hyatt House San Jose/Silicon Valley
- Hyatt House Santa Clara
- Hyatt Place Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
- Hyatt Place San Carlos (Coming Soon)
- Hyatt Regency Santa Clara
- Hyatt Regency Sonoma Wine Country
- Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
- The Welk (New)
- tommie Hollywood (New)
- Waterfront Hotel
- Grand Hyatt Washington
- Hyatt House Washington DC/The Wharf
- Hyatt Place Washington DC/White House
- Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
The Grand Hyatt Washington is a great property for touring the DC area with a great location within mere blocks of many of the major DC attractions.
- Hyatt Centric Las Olas Fort Lauderdale
- Hyatt House Naples/5th Avenue
- Hyatt Place Delray Beach
- Hyatt Place Marathon/Florida Keys
- Hyatt Place Panama City Beach/Beachfront (Coming Soon)
- Hyatt Place Sandestin/at Grand Boulevard
- Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
- Hyatt Regency Orlando International Airport
- Hyatt Regency Sarasota
The Andaz Savannah isn’t a crazy expensive hotel, but with room rates usually over $200, you couldn’t go wrong if you end up in Savannah using your free night award and want to stay at the highly-rated Andaz.
- Ambassador Chicago
- Chicago Athletic Association
- Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile
- Hyatt Centric The Loop Chicago
- Hyatt House Chicago – Medical/University District
- Hyatt Place Chicago – Medical/University District
- Hyatt Place Chicago/Wicker Park
- Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Center
- Hyatt Place Chicago/Downtown-The Loop
- Hyatt Place Chicago/River North
- Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
- Thompson Chicago
If you’re ever visiting Chicago consider the Thompson Chicago. Room rates are close to $300 and the boutique hotel feel really makes it a great hotel to stay at compared to other properties.
The Hyatt Centric French Quarter New Orleans offers great value along with a great location in the French Quarter.
With rooms going over $300, the Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor is a great place to redeem your points with a great location in the heart of Boston.
The Las Vegas hotels don’t offer the best value as they offer some very low prices throughout the year.
- Hyatt Centric The Woodlands
- Hyatt Place Austin Downtown
- Hyatt Regency Austin
- Hyatt Residence Club San Antonio, Wild Oak Ranch
They Hyatt Regency Austin is a great place to cash in on value with your free night award. Rooms can go for over $400 per night, so this is often a great deal.
- Hyatt House Seattle/Downtown
- Hyatt Place Seattle/Downtown
- Hyatt Regency Bellevue on Seattle’s Eastside
- Hyatt Regency Seattle
- Motif Seattle
Tip: Use the free app WalletFlo to help you travel the world for free by finding the best travel credit cards and promotions!
Caribbean & Latin America
- Bolontiku Boutique Hotel and Spa (Coming Soon)
Rooms for the Hyatt Regency Paris Étoile go for over $200 so this is another hotel that offers some decent value. It is about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the famous Arc de Triomphe and located by the Neuilly Porte Maillot station.
- Boutique Hotel Villa am Ruhrufer Golf and Spa
- Grand Hyatt Berlin
- Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf
- Schlosshotel Kronberg
- The Wellem
The Hyatt Centric Milan Centrale Is located just outside of the main train station in Milan. It is about 15 minutes away from the Duomo via a taxi ride but this could be a great location if you will be coming in or leaving via the train station. Rooms can go for around $220 per night so this offers pretty good value.
- Bishopstrow Hotel & Spa (New)
- Luton Hoo Hotel, Golf and Spa
- The Arden Hotel
- The Fish Hotel
- The Grand Hotel
- The Greenway Hotel & Spa
- Maison Dedine (New)
United Arab Emirates
- Grand Hyatt Abu Dhabi Hotel & Residences Emirates Pearl
- Grand Hyatt Dubai
- Hyatt Centric Jumeirah Dubai
Rooms at the Grand Hyatt Dubai can go for around $300 per night so this hotel offer some really great value. The hotel is located near the airport and is about 15 minutes outside of the downtown Dubai area.
- Andaz Xintiandi, Shanghai
- Grand Hyatt Hangzhou
- Grand Hyatt Sanya Haitang Bay Resort and Spa
- Grand Hyatt Shanghai
- Hangzhou Rose Garden Resort & Spa
- Hyatt Regency Changbaishan
- Park Hyatt Ningbo Resort and Spa
- Park Hyatt Suzhou
- The Sukhothai Shanghai
Hong Kong SAR
- Grand Hyatt Fukuoka
- Hyatt Centric Kanazawa
- Hyatt Place Kyoto (New)
- Hyatt Regency Naha, Okinawa
- Hyatt Regency Tokyo
- Hyatt Regency Tokyo Bay
- Hyatt Regency Yokohama
The Grand Hyatt Taipei Is a great use of your free night since the property can go for around $250 per night. It also has a fantastic location, located right next to the famous Taipei 101 Tower.
Australia & Pacific
Melbourne is such a unique city and staying at the Grand Hyatt Melbourne is a terrific way to experience the city since you’re right in the heart of the city.
Hyatt Category 4 Free Night FAQ
The World of Hyatt Card offers one free night at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort every year after your cardmember anniversary.
15,000 points are needed for a standard room per night.
With a 1.5 cent per point valuation, your free night should be worth around $225. However, the value you get on your specific redemption could be lower or higher depending on the property.
As you can see, there are a lot of options for using your Hyatt free night awards for category 4 properties. I recommend coming up with a baseline number for the value of your free night certificates but try not to get to stuck on that figure since other factors also come into play when using free night awards.
This article was originally published by Steve Smith.
Daniel Gillaspia is the Founder of UponArriving.com and creator of the credit card app, WalletFlo. He is a former attorney turned full-time credit card rewards/travel expert and has earned and redeemed millions of miles to travel the globe. Since 2014, his content has been featured in major publications such as National Geographic, Smithsonian Magazine, Forbes, CNBC, US News, and Business Insider. Find his full bio here.