Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. UponArriving has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. UponArriving and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
Southwest is known for slashing rates down to as low as $49 for certain routes at different times of the the year and Southwest just announced its newest 72 hour sale which begins today and ends October 12th at midnight. As usual, domestic travel on Fridays and Sundays is not eligible and several date restrictions apply depending on whether you are booking domestic or international trips (see the terms below for more).
There are some pretty great deals as usual after taking a quick look. From Houston, I like the $129 one way to Oakland, $129 to LA, $94 to Denver, and $79 to Washington. $139 to Cancun isn’t bad but United just had $145 roundtrips to Cancun (some might still be available).
***As a reminder, if you already have tickets purchased for any of these routes, inquire about getting refunded for the difference in ticket price.
Remember, you only have three days to book these awards so if you’re interested you need to act quickly.
Here are the terms and conditions: (I’ve bolded what I feel are some of the most important terms for the offer)
- 21-day advance purchase required.
- Purchase from October 10 through October 12, 2017, 11:59 p.m. in the respective time zone of the originating city.
- Domestic travel valid October 31 through December 19, 2017, and January 3 through February 14, 2018. Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico valid October 31 through December 7, 2017, and January 16 through March 1, 2018. International travel valid October 31 through December 13, 2017, and January 10 through March 2, 2018.
- Domestic and San Juan, Puerto Rico travel blacked out November 21-22, November 25-27, 2017. Sale fares to international destinations blacked out November 21-22, 2017.
- Domestic travel is not valid on Fridays and Sundays. Travel to Florida and Nevada and from Florida to Nevada is valid only on Sundays through Wednesdays. Travel from Florida and Nevada and from Nevada to Florida is valid only on Tuesdays through Fridays. Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico is valid Monday – Thursday. International travel is valid only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- Fares valid only on nonstop service.
- Displayed prices include all U.S. and international government taxes and fees.
- Points bookings do not include taxes, fees, and other government/airport charges of at least $5.60 per one-way flight.
- Seats and days are limited. Fares may vary by destination, flight, and day of week and won’t be available on some flights that operate during very busy travel times and holiday periods.
- Travel is available for one-way Wanna Get Away® fares.
- Fares may be combined with other Southwest Airlines® combinable fares. If combining with other fares, the most restrictive fare’s rules apply.
- Sale fares may be available on other days of week, but that’s not guaranteed.
- Fares are nonrefundable but may be applied toward future travel on Southwest Airlines®, as long as reservations are canceled at least ten minutes prior to the scheduled departure. Failure to cancel prior to departure will result in forfeiture of remaining funds on the reservation.
- Any change in itinerary may result in an increase in fare. Standby travel may require an upgrade to the Anytime fare depending on Rapid Rewards® tier status.
- Fares are subject to change until ticketed.
- Offer applies only to published, scheduled service
Cover photo by Pieter van Marion via Flickr.
UponArriving has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. UponArriving and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Daniel Gillaspia is the Founder of UponArriving.com and creator of the credit card app, WalletFlo. He is a former attorney turned full-time credit card rewards/travel expert and has earned and redeemed millions of miles to travel the globe. His content has been featured in major publications such as National Geographic, Smithsonian Magazine, Forbes, CNBC, US News, and Business Insider. Find his full bio here.