The new Hilton Honors promotion is called “Double Points!” It will be starting May 1 and allow you to earn double the points on every stay through August 31. And unlike other promotions we’ve seen recently from Marriott/SPG, there is no cap or minimum stay requirement — you’ll start earning double the points even on your first stay.
Here are some additional details:
- Registered Hilton Honors members earn Double Points on every stay
- For every $1 spent on stays, you’ll earn 10 Base Points, plus an additional 10 Bonus Points (5 Base Points plus 5 Bonus Points at Home2 Suite by Hilton and Tru by Hilton).
- Silver, Gold & Diamond members will earn their Elite Tier Bonus on top of that.
- Promotion Stay Period May 1 – August 31, 2018
- Offer available at over 5,000 hotels worldwide
- No caps and no minimum stay requirement
- You’ll need to register but that’s not live yet — registration will likely open up next week.
Is this a good promotion?
Earning an extra 10 base points on stay can be very lucrative and is like earning an additional 4 to 5% back on dollars spent at Hilton properties. This can be quite lucrative if you have elite status with Hilton.
For example, if you spend $200 and are a Hilton Honors Diamond member, that’s 3,000 Hilton points you’ll be earning since with the new changes Diamond members earn an additional 10 points per dollar spent on top of base points. And if you use a card like the Hilton Aspire (which comes with automatic Diamond status) that’s an extra 14 points per dollar spent for a total of 44 points per dollar.
At a valuation of .4 cents point, that’s 17.6% back on stays, which is great. If you value Hilton points at .5 cents per point, that’s a return of 22% which is very strong compared to the return of other hotel programs.
In the meantime, you can still earn points with the Points Unlimited promotion, which is still running until April 30.
Daniel Gillaspia is the Founder of UponArriving.com and creator of the credit card app, WalletFlo. He is a former attorney turned full-time credit card rewards/travel expert and has earned and redeemed millions of miles to travel the globe. Since 2014, his content has been featured in major publications such as National Geographic, Smithsonian Magazine, Forbes, CNBC, US News, and Business Insider. Find his full bio here.