The “new and improved” Citi Platinum Select is at 60K now after spending $3,000. This card has all of the new perks which honestly aren’t that impressive. If you already hold the card, you’ll have access to these benefits come July 22, 2018.
- You can find the application link here.
Update: Some offers are no longer available — click here for the latest deals!
- 60,000 AAdvantage miles after spending $3,000 within the first 3 months of account opening
- 2X at gas stations and restaurants
- Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your card membership year and renew your card
- Preferred boarding on American Airlines domestic flights
- First checked bag free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation
- No foreign transaction fees
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Reduced Mileage Awards — Fly to great destinations on American Airlines operated flights for up to 7,500 fewer AAdvantage® miles for flights in the US and to/from Canada.
- $99 annual fee waived the first year
This is the “new and improved” Citi Platinum Select card with bonus categories on dining and gas stations and a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount. 60,000 is a high offer but it’s been around for a while. In fact, if you go for it you should inquire with Citi about a match to 75,000 sine they’ve been matching other offers. I’m not sure if they will offer it with the new card but there’s no harm in trying.
Overall, the new bonus category earning of 2X on restaurants and gas stations isn’t very exciting since there are other cards out there that earn better rates on those categories but if you’re trying to build up AA miles, it isn’t a bad way to do that. The $100 credit is just to low for the $20,000 annual spend to attract me, especially considering the o[opportunity cost.
I just wrote about how to utilize the AA award chart for 15 different sweet spots so give that article a look if you’re looking for different ways to use AA miles.
UponArriving has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. UponArriving and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Daniel Gillaspia is the Founder of UponArriving.com and creator of the credit card app, WalletFlo. He is a former attorney turned full-time credit card rewards/travel expert and has earned and redeemed millions of miles to travel the globe. Since 2014, his content has been featured in major publications such as National Geographic, Smithsonian Magazine, Forbes, CNBC, US News, and Business Insider. Find his full bio here.