The Amex Platinum CLEAR credit is one of the easier credits to use available on the card. But there are some steps that you should take if you would like to maximize this credit, especially if you have a membership with United or Delta and are planning to add family members to your account. In this article, I’ll break down everything you need to know about the $179 Amex Platinum CLEAR credit.
Table of Contents
What is the Amex Platinum CLEAR credit?
The Amex Platinum CLEAR credit is a perk offered by the Platinum Card and Business Platinum Card that allows you to offset the cost of a CLEAR membership by $179 every year.
Tip: Use WalletFlo to help you keep track of all of your credits! It’s free and is one of the best ways to manage all your credit cards and promotions!
What exactly is CLEAR?
CLEAR is a special service available at 50+ airports nationwide that allows you to jump ahead of the line whether you are in the standard TSA security checkpoint line or if you have TSA Pre-Check.
It works by obtaining your biometric data such as scans of your fingerprint, eyes, or facial features and storing them in an encrypted manner. It then verifies your identity by matching your biometrics with its database every time you visit the airport.
It’s one of the best ways to save a lot of time when flying on busy days since even the TSA Pre-Check line can get long. CLEAR also offers expedited entry into select stadiums around the US. You can read more about CLEAR here.
How to use the Amex Platinum credit
It’s very easy to utilize your Amex Platinum CLEAR credit. First, you will need to enroll in the CLEAR program. You can do that by using this link right here or one of the partner links below (which I recommend).
If you already have a membership all you need to do is log-in but if you have not created an account you will need to do that. If you are enrolling online, enrollment will be a two-step process.
First, you will fill out all of your basic information online. All you need to input is your contact information and date of birth and then provide the form of payment which in this case needs to be your American Express Platinum Card.
Both the primary cardmember and authorized users can trigger the credit but there is only one $179 credit available across all accounts. Also, keep in mind this credit is issued every calendar year.
Important: If you have a membership with United or Delta then make sure that you sign up through the partner pages (Link for Delta; Link for United) that allow you to input your frequent flyer number. Otherwise, you will not see the discount whenever you proceed to do the registration.
After you submit your information you should receive an email asking you to set up your accounts which really just means set a password to your account.
The next major step of enrollment is to visit a CLEAR airport location in order to finalize your enrollment. CLEAR should provide you with the closest location after you submit your contact information. (You do NOT need to set up an appointment at the airport location.)
All you need is your government issued ID in order to complete the process. You can actually use CLEAR as soon as you enroll.
CLEAR memberships automatically renew each year unless canceled, so you want to keep track of your enrollment date. Also, American Express has no control over the application and/or approval process for CLEAR. (If your application is not approved, you will receive a refund for the charges.)
It could take up to 2 to 4 weeks after your CLEAR transaction for your statement credit to post. If you do not see a credit after 4 weeks, call the number on the back of your card.
The standard cost for an annual CLEAR membership is $179 per year. You can also add up to 3 adult family members for $60 each per year. (Children under 18 can simply tag along for free and there is no enrollment needed.)
If you plan on using the credit for more than one person you really need to make sure that you take advantage of any discounts available to you. Just by signing up for the frequent flyer programs of either Delta or United you can save yourself a good amount ($60) so I think everyone should at least look into that.
Below are some of the discounts you may be eligible for.
- Diamond Medallion® Members: Free
- Platinum/Gold/Silver Medallion Members: $109
- Delta SkyMiles American Express Card Members: $109
- General Members: $119
- Premier® 1K® members: Free
- Premier Platinum/Gold/Silver members: $109
- United U.S. Credit Cardmembers: $109
- MileagePlus members: $119
Amex Green Card
It is also worth noting that the American Express Green Card comes with a $100 CLEAR credit.
If you have both the Platinum and the Green card, you could add your second and third family member separately after you sign up with the Platinum and change your payment method to the Green Card if you wanted to maximize the credits for both the Platinum and the Green Card. I have not personally tried this but I think it would work.
Once verified, students can get a membership for $50 per year.
Promotions for CLEAR memberships are always going out.
Sometimes they are giving away one month for free but other times I have seen free trials for up to six months. In addition, you can get discounts such as two months free for referring your friend. Other discounts may allow you to add family members for a small discount.
Unless you have multiple family members you probably don’t need to wait for a discount because your $179 credit can cover your membership as well as an additional one.
Which airports have CLEAR?
CLEAR is available at 50+ locations which include the following:
- Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
- Austin–Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
- Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport (BHM)
- Chicago O’Hare Airport (ORD)
- Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE)
- Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG)
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
- Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL)
- Denver International Airport (DEN)
- Detroit Metro Airport (DTW)
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
- William P. Hobby Airport (HOU)
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
- McCarran International Airport (LAS)
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- Miami International Airport (MIA)
- Minneapolis−Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
- Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY)
- LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
- Nashville International Airport (BNA)
- Westchester County Airport (HPN)
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
- Orlando International Airport (MCO)
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
- Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
- San Antonio International Airport (SAT)
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
- St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL)
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
- Dulles International Airport (IAD)
The combination of CLEAR and TSA Pre-Check is one of the ultimate ways to breeze through an airport even during peak business hours. Now that the Platinum offers a credit that can cover the cost of not only a single membership but also an additional family member’s, it’s easier than ever to get on board with CLEAR.
Daniel Gillaspia is the Founder of UponArriving.com and the credit card app, WalletFlo. He is a former attorney turned travel expert covering destinations along with TSA, airline, and hotel policies. Since 2014, his content has been featured in publications such as National Geographic, Smithsonian Magazine, and CNBC. Read my bio.