Hilton Silver status is the bottom tier of elite status with Hilton Honors so as you would expect, it is not going to offer you the most lucrative suite of hotel benefits. With that said, there is still some nice value you can extract from this status, and I will break down the benefits below.
What are the Hilton Honors Silver status benefits?
- 20% bonus on points earning
- Free bottled water
- Fifth night free
- Elite rollover nights
Tip: Use WalletFlo for all your credit card needs. It’s free and will help you optimize your rewards and savings!
How to get Hilton Honors Silver Status
- 4 stays
- 10 nights
As you can see, obtaining Hilton Silver status via hotel stays or hotel nights is pretty easy.
You can get automatic Silver status if you are approved for the Hilton Honors Card. The Hilton Honors Card is the only Hilton credit card with no annual fee and in addition to the silver status, you can also earn some great bonus earnings including:
- 7X at Hilton
- 5X at U.S. restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets
- 5X at U.S. gas stations
- 3X on all purchases
If you would like to make the jump to Gold status then you might want too consider the Hilton Honors Surpass Card.
The Hilton Honors Surpass Card comes with a lot of benefits in addition to Gold status which include:
- 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on your Card directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio
- 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. restaurants, and U.S. gas stations
- 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on all other eligible purchases
- 10 free priority pass lounge passes
- One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $15,000 in purchases in a calendar year
- No foreign transaction fees
And finally, you can also get automatic Hilton Honors Diamond status with the American Express Hilton Aspire. The Aspire is one of the most loaded premium cards in terms of benefits. Here’s a look at everything the Hilton Aspire card has to offer:
- 14X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
- 7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on flights booked directly with airlines or amextravel.com, car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies and at U.S. restaurants
- 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on other purchases
- Complimentary Hilton Honors Diamond status
- One weekend night at any hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio (upon opening account and on account anniversary)
- Weekend night after spending $60,000 on the card within a calendar year
- Unlimited Priority Pass membership
- $250 airline incidental fee statement credit
- $250 Hilton resort statement credit
- $100 on property credit at Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts and Conrad Hotels & Resorts when booking the exclusive Aspire Card package
- $450 Annual Fee
Tip: Check out the free app WalletFlo so that you can optimize your credit card spend by seeing the best card to use! You can also track credits, annual fees, and get notifications when you’re eligible for the best cards!
Hilton Silver benefits
- 20% Points earning Bonus on stays
- Free bottled water
- Fifth night free
- Elite Rollover Nights
20% Bonus on stays
As a Silver member, you will earn an additional 20% bonus points on stays. This means that you would typically earn 12 points on a stay since most Hilton properties earn 10 base points per dollar spent. (Some Hilton brands only earn five points per dollar spent.)
If you value Hilton points at about half a cent per point, then that is around 6% back on your status which is not too bad.
If you have the Hilton Honors Card, you can earn an additional 7X on top of your 12X for a total of 19X. That’s close to a 10% return which is more solid than the straight 6% return without the Hilton Honors Card.
Earning these bonus points with Silver status is a nice way to help build up your Hilton balance much quicker but 20% is only a marginal increase.
By earning Gold status, the bonus jumps all the way up to 80% which is why I would encourage a lot of people to consider the Surpass if they want to maximize points with Hilton.
Free bottled water
Probably the least exciting benefit you could imagine is a bottle of water.
It’s true, it’s not very exciting and the value is pretty minimal but if you have been traveling extensively and are a little bit dehydrated it is nice to receive a free bottle of water.
The standard offering is two bottles of water but note that bottled water may not be available for free at properties with a resort charge that includes bottled water.
Fifth night free
Probably the most valuable benefit you can use as a Silver member is the fifth night free. Basically, if you use points to book 5 nights, you will receive the fifth night free. Depending on the type of hotel you are staying at, this could come out to hundreds of dollars in value.
I once used the fifth night free at an all-inclusive property in Mexico and it allowed me to not only receive a few hundred dollars in free value, but it increased the value of my points on the redemption in a significant way.
We booked six nights so we were able to get the 5th night free and our total came out to 400,000 Hilton Honors points. The room would have cost over $3,500 so we got over .8 cents per point in value which is fantastic for Hilton points.
Elite roll overnights
If you earn nights above your minimum threshold for your elite level, those nights can roll over to the next year which will help you earn elite status a little bit quicker.
So let’s say you earned 15 nights in 2021. Five of those nights could roll over and count towards your status earned in 2022.
Here are the elite status requirements for your reference:
- 4 stays in a calendar year or
- 10 nights in a calendar year
- 20 stays in a calendar year, or
- 40 nights in a calendar year, or
- 75,000 Hilton Honors Base Points in a calendar year
- 30 stays in a calendar year, or
- 60 nights in a calendar year, or
- 120,000 Hilton Honors Base Points in a calendar year
You can also receive the benefits that all Hilton members will receive and these include:
- Guaranteed Hilton Honors Discount rate
- Points toward free nights, travel partners and more
- No resort fees on reward stays
- Digital Check-in
- Choose Your Room
- Digital Key
- Free wifi
- Access to Exclusive Hilton Honors Experiences
A lot of these benefits are pretty standard across major hotel brands but I do like how you can avoid resort fees on awards stays.
Hilton Silver FAQs
You can earn Hilton Silver status with five nights.
Yes, you can get automatic Silver status with the Hilton Honors Card.
No, unfortunately you do not receive free breakfast. However, if you earn Gold status you will be entitled to a free breakfast at many properties.
Upgrades are not listed as an official benefit for Silver status. However, that does not mean that you cannot get an occasional upgrade as a Silver member.
As you can probably tell, Hilton Silver is not going to rock your socks when it comes to benefits. That is pretty standard for a bottom tier elite status. But you can still squeeze a lot of value from this elite status if you can utilize the fifth night free.
Daniel Gillaspia is the Founder of UponArriving.com and creator of the credit card app, WalletFlo. He is a former attorney turned full-time credit card rewards/travel expert and has earned and redeemed millions of miles to travel the globe. Since 2014, his content has been featured in major publications such as National Geographic, Smithsonian Magazine, Forbes, CNBC, US News, and Business Insider. Find his full bio here.