Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. UponArriving has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. UponArriving and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
The Amex Global Lounge Collection might be one of the most valuable travel perks offered by any travel rewards credit card. But what exactly is the Amex Global Lounge Collection and what are the lounges that you get access to? This article will walk you through the different lounges you’ll get access to with this program and what you can expect at these lounge locations in terms of quality and experience.
Interested in finding out the top travel credit cards for this month? Click here to check them out!
What is the Amex Global Lounge Collection?
The Amex Global Lounge Collection is a program that comes with the Amex Platinum Card which provides you access to over 1,000 airport lounges worldwide. This is my favorite benefit of the Amex Platinum Card and it’s the main reason why I choose to hold on to the Amex Platinum Card (though there are plenty of other worthwhile benefits).
Tip: Don’t miss out on my #1 rated travel card. The Chase Sapphire Preferred is now offering a new high offer of 60,000 points (worth $750 in travel) after spending $4,000 in the first three months after account opening! For the longest time this offer was stuck at 50,000 points so you don’t want to miss out on this better opportunity. Find out more here.
Why is the Amex Global Lounge Collection special?
The Amex Global Lounge Collection is special because it’s the best airport lounge access offered by another any other credit card (at least in my opinion it is). Other credit cards like the Chase Sapphire Reserve (and many other premium level travel rewards credit cards) offer only Priority Pass airport lounge access but the Amex Global Lounge Collection goes well beyond a Priority Pass membership.
If you’re a frequent traveler or just a traveler who desires to have nice lounges to enjoy when traveling then the Amex Global Lounge Collection could be just what you need.
I’ll discuss each of the different lounges that are part of the Amex Global Lounge Collection below.
Amex Centurion Lounges
Amex Centurion Lounges are fantastic because they are some of the best lounges in the U.S. These lounges usually feature modern decor with comfy seating, great cocktails and service, and decent hot food items along with showers. Some of these lounges even have spas. I’ll (almost) always choose a Centurion Lounge over a U.S. airline’s domestic lounge or another Priority Pass lounge.
There are two drawbacks to Centurion Lounges, though. The first is that they are only found in a limited number of airports (though they are rapidly expanding). The second is that overcrowding can be a real issue at some of these lounges (though Amex is slowly working to address the crowding issues in various ways).
Here are the locations where you can find these Centurion lounges:
- Charlotte Douglas International (CLT) — coming soon!
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
- Location: Terminal D, opposite Gate D17 on the mezzanine
- Hours: 5:30am to 10pm
- Intercontinental Houston Airport (IAH)
- Location: Terminal D, access via elevators near Gate D6
- Hours: 5:30am to 9pm
- Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS)
- Location: Concourse D, opposite Gate D1)
- Hours: 5am to 11 pm
- London Heathrow (LHR) — coming soon!
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) — coming soon!
- Miami International Airport (MIA)
- Location: Concourse D, near Gate D12)
- Hours: 5am to 11 pm
- New York’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
- Location: Terminal B, pre-security, on the upper level),
- Hours: Sunday – Friday 5:30 am to 8 pm, Saturday 5:30 am to 6:30 pm
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
- Location: second level at Terminal A-West, near gate A14)
- Hours: 5am to 9pm
- Phoenix Sky Harbor (PHX)
- Location: Terminal 4 across from Gate B22 on the upper level
- Hours: 5:30am to 10pm
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
- Location: Terminal 3, near Gate 74
- Hours: 5am to 11pm
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
- Location: Concourse B, opposite Gate B3
- Hours: 5am to 10pm
- Hong Kong International Airport (HKG)
- Location: Terminal 1; take the escalator just before Gate 60
- Hours: 5:30am – 12:30am
You’ll also find International Centurion Lounges across the globe. These don’t always offer the same level of amenities and complimentary services and they also can be much smaller than standard Centurion Lounges. I recently visited the Centurion Lounge in Sydney, Australia and was not very impressed to tell you the truth.
Here are locations where you will find them:
- Buenos Aires (EZE)
- Delhi (DEL)
- Mexico City (MEX), Monterrey (MTY), Toluca (TLC)
- Mumbai (BOM)
- São Paulo (GRU)
- Sydney (SYD)
With the Platinum Card, you’ll be able to bring in two guests with you into these lounges.
But note: access for Priority Pass members to these lounges is sometimes restricted during busy hours, so sometimes you won’t be given access to the lounge. Also, the guest policy can differ at certain lounges.
Priority Pass lounges differ in quality but many of them are great places to relax and enjoy complimentary wifi, food, drinks, and sometimes even showers and special nap areas.
I haven’t put my Priority Pass membership to use for domestic trips that much but for international trips I’ve gotten plenty of value from it. It’s especially nice when you can utilize an arrival lounge after a long international flight.
Delta Sky Club
To gain access to Delta Sky Clubs, you must be flying with Delta on that day. Unfortunately, guests are not complimentary and you’ll have to shell out $29 for each guest to come in to the lounge with you. The good thing about the Platinum Card is authorized users are given this perk, so if your travel partner has a Platinum Card they can get in for free, too. To search for Delta Sky Club locations click here.
Plaza Premium Lounges
Card Members may bring up to 1 companion into Plaza Premium Lounges as complimentary guests. Plaza Premium lounges are common to find in certain parts of the world like Asia.
I recently visited a Plaza Premium lounge in TPE and thought it was a very cozy lounge with a pretty good selection of hot food items and comfy seating. You can often get access to these lounges with with Priority Pass but sometimes the Platinum Card may offer you more access (better hours, etc.). Here are the locations for the Plaza Premium Lounges.
The Platinum Card also offers access to Airspace lounges. There are currently only two of these lounges and they are found in Cleveland (CLE), and San Diego (SAN). The lounges offer basic snacks and drinks but as a Platinum cardmember, you’ll be given a $10 credit that you can use towards food and drinks, so that’s something. Entry would normally be about $35.
As one of the recent upgrades to the Platinum Card, it now offers access to Escape Lounges, too. Escape Lounges can be found at:
- Bradley International Airport (BDL) (which is near Hartford, Connecticut)
- Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG)
- Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport (GSP)
- Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP)
- Oakland International Airport (OAK)
- Ontario International Airport (ONT)
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
- Reno-Tahoe Airport (RNO)
- Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
- T. F. Green International Airport (PVD)
There are also a few in the UK at London Stansted, Manchester, and East Midlands.
Entry to some of these would cost your $40-45 to enter these lounges so these were nice additions to the Platinum’s lounge network.
Additional lounge perks
The Platinum Card also offers lounge access to special events and locations which include the following locations:
- Eurostar Business Premier Lounges (London St. Pancras, Paris Gare du Nord, Brussels Midi/Zuid, and Ebbsfleet International.
- Virgin Australia lounge access when flying Virgin Australia
- Centurion Suite at the Barclays Center (open for sporting and entertainment events)
- Centurion Suite at the Staples Center (open for sporting events — no complimentary food or drinks)
- Universal Studios lounges (Orlando and Hollywood)
- Select Lufthansa airport lounges in the satellite area of T2 in Munich Airport and in Terminal 1 Concourse B of Frankfurt Airport through 10/31/19 (read more here)
The Amex Global Lounge Collection obtained through the Amex Platinum is one of the most valuable travel perks because it offers access to the most extensive network of lounges compared to to other similar credit cards.
UponArriving has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. UponArriving and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Daniel Gillaspia is the Founder of UponArriving.com and creator of the digital smart wallet, WalletFlo. He is a former attorney turned full-time credit card rewards/travel expert and has earned and redeemed millions of miles to travel the globe. His content has been featured in major publications such as National Geographic, Smithsonian Magazine, Forbes, CNBC, US News, and Business Insider. Find his full bio here.