Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
With all of the recent changes to the Marriott rewards program (now known as Marriott Bonvoy), it’s easy to get confused about what benefits each status tier now offers. In this article, I’m going to focus on the benefits offered by Marriott Platinum status and walk you through each of these.
What is Marriott Bonvoy Platinum status?
Marriott Platinum status is an upper mid-tier status with the Marriott Bonvoy rewards program.
How to earn Marriott Platinum status
To achieve or renew Marriott Bonvoy Elite Membership status, the following number of personal nights must be earned at participating locations between January 1 and December 31 of any given year:
- Silver: 10 to 24 nights
- Gold: 25 to 49 nights
- Platinum: 50 to 74 nights
- Titanium: 75 to 99 nights
- Ambassador: 100 nights + $20,000 U.S. dollars in qualified annual spend
Here’s how it compares to other statuses with Hyatt and Hilton.
World of Hyatt
- 10 qualifying nights
- 25,000 Base Points
- or holding 3 qualifying meetings/events per year.
- 30 qualifying nights
- 50,000 Base Points
- or holding 10 qualifying meetings/events per year.
- 60 qualifying nights
- 100,000 Base Points
- or holding 20 qualifying meetings/events per year.
- 4 stays in a calendar year or
- 10 nights in a calendar year
- 20 stays in a calendar year, or
- 40 nights in a calendar year, or
- 75,000 Hilton Honors Base Points in a calendar year
- 30 stays in a calendar year, or
- 60 nights in a calendar year, or
- 120,000 Hilton Honors Base Points in a calendar year
Marriott Platinum via Credit cards
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card
The Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card offers automatic Gold status but you can earn Marriott Platinum status by spending $75,000 in a year. Platinum status will get you breakfast and lounge access but that’s a lot of spend for Platinum status and once again, I don’t think I would go for it.
Here’s a look at the other features:
- $300 in Marriott statement credits
- Bonus earning:
- 6x at Marriott properties
- 3x at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines
- 2x on all other purchases
- Each calendar year you can receive credit for 15 nights towards the next level of Elite status. Limit one 15 Elite Night Credit per Marriott Loyalty Program member.
- Priority Pass Select membership
- Receive a statement credit every four years after you apply for Global Entry ($100) or TSA Pre√® ($85) with your Card.
- No foreign transaction fees
- Free, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide.
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Card offers automatic Silver status but you can earn Marriott Gold status by spending $35,000 in a year. That’s a lot in spend per year for a status that doesn’t even offer breakfast so I would rather put $35K to use in another way.
You’ll also be given 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year, which can help you reach Gold status much quicker since you’ll only be 10 nights away from reaching Gold. Free nights start out at 5,000 points per night for off-peak Category 1 awards and welcome bonuses can range from 75,000 to 100,000 points after meeting minimum spend requirements.
So after earning the bonus you could use 50,000 Marriott points to climb your way to Marriott Platinum status since free night stays count towards elite status. Another great benefit of this card is that you get an annual free night for properties that cost up to 35,000 points per night.
Tip: Don’t miss out on my #1 rated travel card. The Chase Sapphire Preferred is now offering a new high offer of 60,000 points (worth $750 in travel) after spending $4,000 in the first three months after account opening! For the longest time this offer was stuck at 50,000 points so you don’t want to miss out on this better opportunity — plus you can transfer points to Marriott!. Find out more here.
You can always inquire with Marriott customer service either via email or by phone to see if you’re eligible for a status challenge to Platinum. If you’re eligible, you’ll probably have to hit something like 16 nights in a designated time period (e.g., 3 months) to achieve Platinum status but the challenge terms could vary.
Keep in mind that you usually can only enroll in these challenges once every three years.
What are the Marriott Platinum status benefits?
- 50% Bonus on points
- Complimentary room upgrade
- Welcome gift
- Guaranteed Lounge Access
- 4pm late check-out
- Annual Choice Benefit
- Guaranteed Room Type
50% Bonus on Marriott Rewards Points
- Platinum members are credited with a 50% bonus on base points earned during stays.
At most Marriott properties you’ll earn 10 Marriott points per dollar spent, so with this bonus you’ll be able to earn 15 points per dollar spent. At a value of .8 cents per point, Platinum status earns 12% back.
Complimentary room upgrade
Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability which could include the following:
Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors.
- At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Titanium Elite and Ambassador Elite Members and rooms with direct Club access are excluded.
- The Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members and above is available at all Participating Brands except at Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Aloft, Element and participating Vistana properties.
As a Platinum member you will be able to choose a welcome gift upon arrival. The type of gift that you can get will vary depending on the type of property you are staying at. At a lot of properties you will be able to choose between 500 to 1,000 points or a food and beverage credit/free breakfast. I generally always go with the free breakfast because that offers the best value.
Elite Welcome Gift
|JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels||United States, Canada, Europe: 1,000 Points per Stay or U.S. $10 food and beverage (“F&B”) credit per Stay|
Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, Middle East, and Africa: 1,000 Points per Stay or F&B amenity per Stay
Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, Middle East, and Africa: 1,000 Points per Stay or F&B amenity per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1
|Gaylord Hotels||1,000 Points per Stay or U.S. $10 F&B credit per Stay||U.S. $100|
|St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, Sheraton, Le Méridien, Westin, Tribute Portfolio||1,000 Points per Stay or amenity per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1 (including Resorts)||U.S. $100|
|The Ritz-Carlton, EDITION, Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Design Hotels TM||1,000 Points (per Stay)|
|Courtyard||United States, Canada, Europe: 500 Points per Stay or U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member +1**|
Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa: Properties without lounge – 500 Points per Stay or F&B amenity per Stay or U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member +1**
Properties with lounge – 500 Points per Stay and breakfast in lounge – if lounge is closed, breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1
|AC Hotels, Moxy Hotels||United States, Canada, Europe: 500 Points per Stay or U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member +1**|
Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa: 500 Points per Stay or F&B amenity per Stay or U.S. $10 F&B credit per day
|SpringHill Suites, Fairfield, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites||United States, Canada, Europe: 500 Points per Stay or F&B item|
Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa: 500 Points per Stay or F&B amenity
SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn:
Fairfield, TownePlace Suites:
|Four Points, Aloft||500 Points per Stay or amenity or breakfast in restaurant per day for Member +1|
Aloft: U.S. $25
|Protea Hotels||500 Points per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per day for Member +1||U.S. $50|
|Element||500 Points per Stay or amenity||U.S. $25|
Guaranteed Lounge Access
As a Platinum member you will get guaranteed lounge access for you and one guest staying in the same room at:
- JW Marriott
- Marriott Hotels
- Delta Hotels
- Le Méridien
- Autograph Collection and
- Renaissance Hotels.
Lounge Access is not offered at the following brands:
- The Ritz-Carlton
- St. Regis
- The Luxury Collection
- W Hotels
- Design Hotels
- Tribute Portfolio
- Gaylord Hotels
- Four Points
- SpringHill Suites
- Protea Hotels
- AC Hotels
- Moxy Hotels
- Residence Inn
- TownePlace Suites
- Marriott Vacation Club
- Marriott Grand Residence Club
- and participating Vistana properties.
Generally, whenever a lounge is closed or the property does not have a lounge or an approved alternative the property will offer you daily breakfast in the restaurant. If Lounge Access or alternatives are not available at eligible properties, Platinum Elite Members will be compensated $100 U.S. dollars for the inconvenience. There are a few special rules for different properties and locations and you can read more about those here.
- Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property.
This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design HotelsTM, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, and participating Vistana properties are excluded from this benefit.
Annual Choice Benefit
Platinum Elite Member who has achieved fifty (50) eligible Elite Night Credits annually is eligible to receive one (1) additional benefit from the list of available benefits listed below:
Platinum Elite Annual Choice Benefit Options:
Five (5) Suite Night Awards
40% off bed
$100 Charity Donation
The gift of Silver Elite status for a friend or family member
Five (5) Elite Night Credits
- Suite Night Award use is based upon availability of the requested suite or premium room. Checking for availability begins five days before arrival. If availability is not confirmed five days before arrival, availability is checked each day before arrival up to 2 p.m. local time of the Participating Property one (1) day prior to arrival. If at that time Suite Night Awards cannot be confirmed, the Suite Night Awards are credited back to the Member’s account.
- Suite Night Awards may be used only when there are enough in the Member’s Account so that one is applied to every night of the reservation (including a 5th night free).
- Suite Night Awards are not redeemable at the following brands: The Ritz-Carlton, The Ritz-Carlton Reserve, The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, EDITION, Protea Hotels, Aloft, Element, Design HotelsTM, all-Suite Hotels, Marriott Executive Apartments, ExecuStay, Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club properties and participating Vistana properties.
Complimentary enhanced Internet service
- This benefit is provided where available, regardless of booking source, at all Participating Brands worldwide except at the EDITION brand.
Keep in mind that you can get this benefit with the Marriott Boundless credit card.
5th redemption night free
- Book 5 consecutive nights and the 5th night is free (this perk is available to all Marriott status levels but is worth mentioning).
- Gift Shop Discount of 10% on retail merchandise.
- Elite Reservations Line: (800) 228-2100
- Customer Engagement Center Line: (800) 321-7396
Marriott Platinum has some valuable benefits that it offers like guaranty lounge access, breakfast, late checkout, and others.
H-Town based Attorney turned credit card rewards expert. Founder of UponArriving.com.